I've never done any bakes without using eggs as an ingredient and when I saw a recipe of eggless muffins on FB, I was curious to find out about the taste, texture, etc. So without much hesitation and as all the ingredients were at hand, I gave this recipe a go and the result....... soft, moist muffins with pretty swirls!
Recipe for Eggless Zebra Muffins ~ 无蛋斑马玛芬 (adapted from 'here' )
- 195 gm plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp skimmed milk powder
- 250 ml milk
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 140 gm brown sugar
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1.1/2 Tbsp hot water
- Mix vinegar and milk in a bowl, set aside.
- Sift or whisk flour, milk powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk brown sugar, hot water, oil and vanilla thoroughly. Then mix in the milk vinegar mixture.
- Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients, mix till slowly combined.
- Separate into 2 portions.
- To one, add the cocoa mixture, stir well.
- To the other, add vanilla, mix well.
- Put a layer of vanilla batter into the paper lined muffin pan, do not swirl, then add a layer of cocoa batter, continue to do this till the batter is about 3/4 full.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg.C for 20 mins. till a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan before removing onto a wire rack to cool further.
- Serve warm
- Yield : 8 Muffins