I recently received an email on the many wonders of Green Tea and as I do have some Green Tea powder sitting in my fridge, whipped up this recipe.
Recipe for Japanese Green Tea Pound Cake
- 8 oz Butter/Margarine
- 8 oz Plain/All Purpose Flour
- 4 Eggs
- 6 oz Caster Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Japanese Green Tea Powder
- 1 Teasp. Baking Powder
- 2 Teasp. Vanilla
- A pinch of Salt
- 60 gm Chocolate Chips or Canned Adzuki (Kidney beans) - Optional
1. Sift the flour with the baking powder, salt and mix in the green tea powder, set aside.
2. Cream butter/margarine with the caster sugar till light and fluffy.
3. Add in the eggs, one at a time. Add in vanilla.
4. Fold in the flour mixture and mix well. Pour batter into a greased and floured 8 inch square or round baking pan.
5. Bake in preheated oven @ 350 deg.F/180 deg.C for about 45 minutes. Insert skewer in the centre of the cake, till it comes out clean.
(i) If chocolate chips/Adzuki beans are added, do so after adding in the flour.
(ii) If Adzuki beans are used, discard the syrup, and coat them with a little flour to prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the cake.