Lotus root is crispy and crunchy and often boiled in soup - can help clear body heat, improve your appetite and restore good health.
Recipe for Pork Meat with Lotus Root Soup
- 400 gm lean Pork Meat
- 400 gm old Lotus Root
- 50 gm Groundnuts for soup
- 10 gm dried Fish Bones
- 3 large Preserved Dates without sugar (Mut Choe)
- 3 litres of water
- Blanch the pork meat with some hot boiling water. Discard water and set aside.
- Scrape or peel off the skin of the lotus root, cut diagonally into about 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Boil the 3 litres of water in a pot and once it starts to boil, add in the preserved dates, dried fish bones, groundnuts and sliced lotus roots. Bring to the boil again.
- Add in the lean meat and let it continue to boil for about 10 minutes.
- Then switch to low heat and let the soup boil for another 2 hrs. 45 minutes.
- Add salt to taste and it's then ready to serve.
Old Lotus root is suitable for boiling soup, or even those big, thick ones from China, while the young Lotus root is for stir-frying or pickled.