Seems that Zebra Cake is very popular in Eastern Europe and it's best accompanied with a cup of black coffee or tea. It's simply delicious, moist and light and the sight of the stripes of the cake is something to behold. Enjoy!
Recipe for Zebra Cake with Soyabean milk (Moist Sponge)
- 10 oz Plain Flour
- 6 oz Caster sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 1 cup Sugarless Soyabean milk
- 1 cup Canola Oil
- 3 Teasp. Baking Powder
- 3 Teasp. Chocolate Powder
- 1 Teasp. Vanilla
- 1 Teasp. Salt
1. Sift the flour with the baking powder, salt and set aside.
2. Beat the eggs with the caster sugar till light and creamy, and ribbons form when the whisk is lifted.
3. Add the soyabean milk , then the oil and continue beating until well combined.
4. Slowly fold in the flour and vanilla till well blended. Do not overbeat to prevent air pockets from forming.
5. Divide the batter into 2 equal portions. This is important.
6. Sift the chocolate powder into 1 portion of batter and mix well.
7. Spoon 3 tablespoons of plain batter into the centre of the well greased and floured 9 inch square tin.
8. Then spoon 3 tablespoons of chocolate batter into the centre of the plain batter. By adding the chocolate batter, it will help push out the plain batter to fill up the cake tin.
9. Do not stop to wait for the batter to spread, just continue on with another 3 tablespoons plain and 3 tablespoonss chocolate, and so on, till the batters have been used up.
10. Do Not Tilt the cake tin.
11. Bake in preheated oven @ 350 deg.F/180 deg.C for about 40 minutes, cake is done when tested with skewer and it comes out clean.